US intelligence warned White House about COVID-19 threat in January, report claims

Coronavirus Task ForceThe United States Intelligence Community issued “ominous classified warnings” in January and February about the global danger posed by the coronavirus, but the White House failed to take timely action, according to an investigative report published on Friday in The Washington Post. The paper said that, in their totality, the Intelligence Community’s reports warned about “a virus that showed the characteristics of a globe-encircling pandemic” requiring the US government to take “swift action to contain it”.

The paper cited “a US official who had access to intelligence reporting” about the virus, who said that “the system was blinking red” in January. The “ominous” reports were disseminated to members of Congress and to senior officials in the administration of US President Donald Trump. Sources told The Washington Post that the reports did not attempt to forecast when the virus might begin to spread in the US, or what public health measures should be taken to prevent a possible outbreak. Such policy-related decisions are usually “outside the purview of the [intelligence] agencies”, said the US official.

However, the warnings were frequent and began to increase in volume by the last week of January, according to the article. By early February, the majority of the intelligence reports that were disseminated to the White House concerned COVID-19, sources said. Among other warnings, the reports cautioned President Trump that Chinese government officials were deliberately minimizing the extent and seriousness of the coronavirus outbreak.

The Washington Post cites “two senior administration officials” who claim that the president’s advisers found it difficult to draw his attention to the intelligence reports about COVID-19. It was only on January 18, less than a week before China began to place millions of its citizens on lockdown, that Health and Human Services (HHS) Secretary Alex Azar was able to secure access to the Oval Office and speak directly with President Trump about the virus. Soon afterwards, Dr. Robert Kadlec, HHS Assistant Secretary for Preparedness and Response, briefed the Senate Select Committee on Intelligence in a classified meeting. The Post cites four anonymous US officials, who said that Dr. Kadlec gave his presentation jointly with members of the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA). They discussed the global health implications of COVID-19 and warned it was a “serious” threat that would require Americans “to take actions that could disrupt their daily lives”.

But the president was “dismissive”, said administration officials, allegedly refusing to believe that the virus posed a major threat to the country. On February 24, when, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), there were 53 confirmed COVID-19 cases in the US, President Trump tweeted: “The Coronavirus is very much under control in the USA”. In the weeks that followed, said the administration officials, the White House “failed to take action that might have slowed the spread of the pathogen”. Currently there are in excess of 20,000 COVID-19 cases in the US, a number that appears to double every 48 hours.

Meanwhile, in the past two weeks President Trump has insisted that the coronavirus pandemic “blindsided the world”. However, the danger of a pandemic was highlighted in the 2017, 2018 and 2019 editions of the US Intelligence Community’s Worldwide Threat Assessment, a report that is presented annually to Congress and the White House by the Office of the Director of National Intelligence and the CIA. The 2019 edition of the report contains the following lines: “We assess that the United States and the world will remain vulnerable to the next flu pandemic or large-scale outbreak of a contagious disease that could lead to massive rates of death and disability, severely affect the world economy, [and] strain international resources”.

The Washington Post said it contacted the CIA and the Office of the Director of National Intelligence, but both declined to comment on Friday’s allegations. The White House was strongly dismissive of The Post’s allegations. White House spokesman Hogan Gidley said in a statement: “It’s more than disgusting, despicable and disgraceful for cowardly unnamed sources to attempt to rewrite history —it’s a clear threat to this great country”.

Author: Joseph Fitsanakis | Date: 21 March 2020 | Permalink

6 Responses to US intelligence warned White House about COVID-19 threat in January, report claims

  1. Pingback: US intelligence warned White House about COVID-19 threat in January, report claims – YoNews

  2. Chris Kilham says:

    Your posts on what is happening in the intelligence community are wonderfully well informed and always helpful. Thank you. We need all the good intel we can get.

  3. Anonymous says:

    Remember, the head of the World Health Organization tweeted on January 14th that there was no human to human transmission of the virus, so the world leaders remained calm.

  4. John Kociuba says:

    Absolute lie! The failed intelligence community is lying again! Compliments by Jeff Bezos. Wait!? Is this the same intelligence that wasted 20 years in Afghanistan & Iraq? 2 total failures? Funny how COVID 19 was sold to Communist Chinese from North Carolina University so they could perfect a Biological Weapon.

    Furthermore, where was “prevention” against China working on BWC violations? COMMUNISTS HAVE PENETRATED ALL LEVELS OF U.S. INTELLIGENCE NOT SEEN SINCE NAZI ADMIRAL WILHELM CANARIS!

  5. I do think your report should be balanced. You should have said that on 31 January Chinese flights to the USA were stopped by Trump albeit in a sloppy way thereby not establishing proper quarantine measures.

    While on the topic of China and Coronavirus, I would be interested in knowing what the fate of Uighur and other detainees in China’s “re-education” camps is … if you or any of your readership know.

  6. John Kociuba says:

    Hon. President Donald John Trump ~

    Mr. President,
    FIRE EVERYONE! FIRE ALL JOINT CHIEFS OF STAFF! GINA HASPEL! WILLIAM BARR! END HOMELAND INSECURITY & TSA!

    BRAC Destroyed the U.S economy in 1 week! 12 Billion saved to lose Trillions in capital! No leadership! No accountability! Absolute militarial tactical failure! How can you defend a nation from the following when the largest population States like Florida have 55,000 hospital beds per 21.3 million?

    1. Nuclear proliferation
    3. Biological weapons
    3. Hacking
    4. Invasion
    5. Natural disasters

We welcome informed comments and corrections. Comments attacking or deriding the author(s), instead of addressing the content of articles, will NOT be approved for publication.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s