Spain and US reject claims they planned to assassinate Venezuelan officials
September 16, 2024 1 Comment
THE GOVERNMENTS OF SPAIN and the United States have strongly rejected allegations they were involved in an operation that aimed to kill leading Venezuelan officials, including the country’s President Nicolás Maduro. The allegations were made by a senior Venezuelan cabinet minister, following the arrests on Sunday of three Americans, as well as two Spanish and one Czech citizens. The six men have been charged with plotting to destabilize the Venezuelan government by killing Maduro and other top officials.
The allegations against the six foreign men were aired on live television by the Venezuelan Minister of the Interior Diosdado Cabello, who is a close ally of Maduro. Cabello accused the US Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) of “leading this operation” with the participation of special forces troops. The Venezuelan official went on to claim that at least one of the American citizens who were arrested over the weekend is a member of the US Navy Sea, Air, and Land (SEAL) Teams, commonly known as Navy SEALs.
Cabello referred to the six men as “mercenaries” with prior service in Colombia, Iraq, and Afghanistan. He added that they had been in contact with “French mercenaries in Eastern Europe” who had supplied them with “hundreds of weapons”. Cabello told reporters that Venezuelan authorities had seized over 400 rifles when they arrested the six men. The Venezuelan cabinet minister also claimed that the two Spanish citizens were employees of National Intelligence Center, Spain’s primary intelligence organization.
Late yesterday, however, Spanish officials issued strong denials of Cabello’s allegations. One Spanish government spokesperson told the Agence France Presse news agency that Madrid “denied and categorically rejected” Venezuela’s claims. Meanwhile, a statement issued by the US Department of State rejected as “categorically false […] any claims of US involvement in a plot to overthrow Maduro”. The French and Czech governments had yet to issue any official statements as of late last night.
Meanwhile, the BBC reported yesterday that the Spanish government has requested that Venezuelan authorities provide details of the detainees and that the Spanish embassy in Caracas is seeing to gain access to the two Spanish detainees.
► Author: Joseph Fitsanakis | Date: 16 September 2024 | Permalink
A WEEK AFTER POLAND
SEVERAL EASTERN EUROPEAN STATES announced plans to expel Russian diplomats this week, as Moscow declared an Italian diplomat persona non grata in a tit-for-tat dispute with Rome over espionage allegations. Earlier this month, the Czech Republic
CZECH GOVERNMENT OFFICIALS SAID they would welcome the expulsion of Russian diplomats from European Union and North Atlantic Treaty Organization countries, in support of Prague’s ongoing diplomatic spat with Moscow. The Czech Republic expelled 18 Russian diplomats last weekend, in order to protest against an explosion at a remote munition depot in the east of the country, which the government claims was part of a Russian intelligence operation.
Moscow has reacted angrily to the Czech government’s decision to expel two Russian diplomats from the country, in response to allegations that the Kremlin plotted to assassinate three outspoken Czech politicians using a deadly poison. Russian officials pledged to respond in kind to Prague’s “indecent and unworthy deed”.
The Russian government has strongly denied accusations in the Czech media that it dispatched an assassin to Prague to kill two leading Czech politicians. The denial was issued by the Kremlin a day after Prague mayor Zdeněk Hřib said he had been placed under 24/7 police protection because of fears his life could be in danger.
The Czech intelligence services foiled a secret plan by North Korea to smuggle weapons parts and surveillance drones, leading to the expulsion of a North Korean diplomat from the country, according to a report. The report,
Security agencies in Eastern Europe have voiced concern about the rise of far-right paramilitary groups whose members have access to heavy weaponry, including in some cases armored vehicles and tanks. The most recent warning came on Sunday, when the Czech daily newspaper Mlada Fronta Dnes published excerpts of a leaked security report on the subject. The report was authored by analysts in the Security Information Service (BIS), the country’s primary domestic intelligence agency. It detailed the recent activities of a group calling itself the National Home Guard, a far-right, anti-immigrant militia that
Russia may have made the decision to kill former double spy Sergei Skripal because he continued to provide counterintelligence assistance to Eastern European governments, according to media reports from Prague. Skripal, 66, a veteran military intelligence operative who spied for Britain in the early 2000s, has been living in England since 2010. He was recently released from hospital after he was
The late Supreme Leader of North Korea, Kim Jong-il, and his son and current Supreme Leader Kim Jong-un, used forged Brazilian passports to secure visas for overseas trips and to travel abroad undetected, according to reports. The Reuters news agency 






Czech businessman detained in China on espionage charges
August 6, 2026 by intelNews 1 Comment
This case underscores ongoing diplomatic tensions between the Czechia and China, following the January 2026 arrest in Prague of Yang Yi-min, a Chinese journalist for Guangming Daily, on charges of acting as an unregistered agent of a foreign power. Yang remains in custody. The two detentions have fueled speculation of ‘hostage diplomacy’—a term that refers to the apprehension of foreign nationals as a means of exerting diplomatic leverage during disputes between states. However, the Czech Republic’s Minster of Foreign Affairs and Deputy Prime Minister, Petr Macinka, has publicly denied such speculation.
This case should be seen within the broader context of of Chinese-Czech relations in the post-COVID-19 era. Czech Prime Minister Andrej Babiš’s government, in office since December 2025, has sought to build a more pragmatic relationship with Beijing after years of tension under his predecessor, primarily over Prague’s positions on Taiwan. It is clear that the recent arrests further-complicate his administration’s China strategy.
Meanwhile, the businessman’s fate remains uncertain. China analyst Katerina Prochazkova, of the Sinopsis research initiative, outlined a range of possible outcomes in this case: a prisoner swap involving the Chinese national held in Prague, or a swifter resolution involving due process, consular access, and release without prolonged detention. However, she pointed to a less optimistic scenario—namely a lengthy investigation marked by limited transparency, noting that past cases have involved multi-year detentions before resolution.
The Speaker of the Czech Chamber of Deputies, Tomio Okamura, visited Beijing last month, with the aim of bolstering tourism and economic ties between the two countries. Reports circulated of a liaison between Okamura and Chinese authorities on a potential prisoner swap. However, as one Czech-China analyst noted, Okamura holds no formal foreign-policy authority and any intervention on his part would be at most an informal gesture.
► Author: Molly Jones | Date: 06 August 2026 | Permalink
Filed under Expert news and commentary on intelligence, espionage, spies and spying Tagged with China, Czech Republic, espionage, News, Tomio Okamura, Yang Yi-min