Chile launches search for suspect in alleged Neruda poisoning
June 4, 2013 Leave a comment
By JOSEPH FITSANAKIS | intelNews.org |
The government of Chile has launched an official search for a United States suspect in connection with the alleged poisoning of celebrated poet Pablo Neruda. The Chilean literary icon, who was awarded the Nobel Prize in Literature in 1971, died on September 23, 1973. His death occurred less than two weeks after a coup d’état, led by General Augusto Pinochet, toppled the democratically elected Marxist government of Salvador Allende, a close friend of Neruda. The death of the internationally acclaimed poet, who was 69 at the time, was officially attributed to prostate cancer and the effects of acute mental stress over the military coup. Earlier this year, however, an official investigation was launched into Neruda’s death following allegations that he had been murdered. The investigation was sparked by a comment made by Neruda’s personal driver, Manuel Araya, who said that the poet had been deliberately injected with poison while receiving treatment for cancer at the Clinica Santa Maria in Chilean capital Santiago. Investigators are still awaiting the completion of a complex autopsy performed on Neruda’s remains, which were exhumed in April. But the Chilean government has already issued a search order for a medical doctor —or someone pretending to be a doctor— who was allegedly on Neruda’s bedside on the night of his death. The search was issued based on comments made recently by another medical doctor, Sergio Draper, who supervised Neruda’s hospital treatment in September of 1973. Dr. Draper told government investigators that he turned over his shift that night to a “Dr. Price”, a young doctor in his late 20s, who was with Neruda in the hours leading to the poet’s death. According to Rodolfo Reyes, a lawyer representing the Neruda estate, Dr.Price’s identity remains a mystery. Read more of this post







By IAN ALLEN | intelNews.org |










News you may have missed #839
June 5, 2013 by Ian Allen Leave a comment
►►US officials say Comey in line to head FBI. US President Barack Obama plans to nominate James B. Comey, a former senior Justice Department official in the George W. Bush administration, to replace Robert S. Mueller III as FBI director, according to people with knowledge of the selection process. The expected nomination of Comey, a Republican, was seen in some quarters as a bipartisan move by a president besieged by Republicans in Congress. But Chuck Hagel’s prior service as a Republican senator from Nebraska did not spare him from a bruising nomination battle for Secretary of Defense.
►►Ex-KGB agent marks fourth year in Canada sanctuary. On June 1, Vancouver’s First Lutheran Church held a fourth anniversary dinner for Burnaby resident and former KGB officer Mikhail Lennikov. June 2 marked four years that Lennikov has been living at the church. He was ordered deported on June 3, 2009 because of his history with the KGB, the former Soviet secret service, although he has argued he poses no threat to Canadian security. Lennikov’s wife and son have been allowed to stay in the country on humanitarian and compassionate grounds and have also been living in the church.
►►Senior US intelligence official gets personal email hacked. In a rather embarrassing slip, the personal email account of Christopher Kojm, chairman of the US National Intelligence Council (NIC), has become the latest victim of the cracker known as Guccifer. The cracker allegedly grabbed email exchanges with 9/11 Commission members, banking information, personal correspondence, and documents covering the latest Obama administration’s transition earlier this year. Classified information doesn’t appear to have been compromised, although no doubt there are some embarrassing tidbits to be had.
Filed under Expert news and commentary on intelligence, espionage, spies and spying Tagged with 0 Ex-KGB agent marks fourth year in Canada sanctuary, 0 Senior US intelligence official gets personal email hacked, 0 US officials say Comey in line to head FBI, Canada, FBI, James B. Comey, KGB, Mikhail Alexander Lennikov, News, news you may have missed, Robert S. Mueller III, Russia, United States, USSR